[horde] Update horde via Debian testing?

Mauricio Jose T. Tecles mtecles at biof.ufrj.br
Mon Jan 2 13:51:55 UTC 2017

----- Mensagem de Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net> ---------
    Data: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 10:14:06 -0300
      De: Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net>
Assunto: Re: [horde] Update horde via Debian testing?
    Para: horde at lists.horde.org

> On 01/01/17 05:47, Thomas Trepper wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi, Thomas. Happy new year!
>
>> I am using horde webmail 5.2.2-1 for Debian 8 (Jessie)
>> (https://packages.debian.org/jessie/php-horde-webmail).
>>
>> I have seen, that in testing the package is updated to 5.2.17-1
>> (https://packages.debian.org/stretch/php-horde-webmail) and I was wondering
>>
>> a) why the packages are not available as an update for Debian stable
>
> Debian has three main branches: unstable, testing and stable. The
> packages, based on the tests performed, are passed from one branch to
> the other. When Debian maintainers deem it convenient, they will make
> the package available on the stable branch.
>
>> b) if it is a good idea to update *only* the horde packge via
>> testing to 5.2.17-1?
>
> In that case, it might be best to install through Pear. I did it in
> Debian stable.

In addition to that, take care of not mixing up Debian package and
Horde package via Pear. I use Debian as the base system but I install
Horde and its applications via Pear. I do not use Horde Debian package.
In your case, if you want to go to use Pear installation, make a
backup (database and Horde directories) before doing it.

Try it on a test machine first, without any Debian Horde package, have
you Horde database contents installed from your backup and install
Horde Webmail via Pear. Take a look at Horde documentaion (Install and
Upgrading) first (https://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs).

Mauricio

>> Thanks a lot in advance for any comments and suggestions.
>
> I hope this is useful.
>
>> All the best and a happy new year,
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> Kind regards,
> Daniel

----- Final da mensagem de Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net> -----

Maurício José T. Tecles
Instituto de Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho/UFRJ
Av. Carlos Chagas Filho, 373
Núcleo de Informática
CCS, Bloco G, sala G1-006
Cidade Universitária - Ilha do Fundão