[horde] Creating an Info Dashboard: Horde API or command line tools?

James Mohr horde at jimmo.com
Sun Jan 29 13:27:29 UTC 2017

Quoting Vilius Sumskas/LNK <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Hi,
>
>> I am trying to set up a information dashboard for my family that I
>> will display on a tablet hanging on the kitchen wall. The plan is to
>> set up several email addresses for various function like
>> shoppinglist at mydomain or todo at mydomain. The server would process the
>> email and create a new task in Nag, for example. Processing the email
>> is the easy part. For me, the hard part is creating the nag entries. I
>> would also like to be able to automatically create kronolith entries
>> without have to send email and then confirm it.
>>
>> I couldn't find anything in the Wiki or email archives addressing
>> this. Is it possible or did I miss something?
>
> why do you want to do this so complicated? Just use a shared calendar and
> nag shared task list, then create events/todo items the normal way. You
> could even use Horde as ActiveSync server to manage all the items.
>
> --
>    Vilius
> --
Thank you for your quick response.

The primary reason is my wife is a techno-phobe. She can use
MS-Outlook, MS-Word and the accounting software at work, but that is
about it. The entire server is protected by HTTP authentication, plus
the login to Horde, so she has to deal with two logins. Then she has
to work through the menus and forms to add nag or calendar entries.
She simply does not want to be bothered with that, so won't do it. If
there was an API or command-line option, that would be less
complicated for the family as a whole than spending the time trying to
teaching her how to use a new application.

Second, I would like to automatically create tasks from monitoring
scripts on the server.

Third, I have at least 50 calender events that I would like to add,
and inputing them with a web form is a pain.

Fourth, I often think of task while I am not on a computer. It is far
easier to open the email app on my phone, dictate a subject line and
send it off, as opposed to logging into the HTTP authentication,
logging into Horde, navigating the menu, and then inputting all of the
required data into the form. Obviously, in this context, using a
shared list and calendars is actually more complicated.

Fifth, I have a task management tool that can send email when tasks
are assigned. In certain circumstances, when I create a task in this
tool, I want the tasks to be displayed in the dashboard. Since my wife
is a technophone, she will not use this tool and it is really not
designed for multiple users. It would be more complicated to add the
item into the other tool AND then into nag.

Sixth, often while working, I think of something that needs to get
done that evening or in the next few days. I would either need to keep
horde open all of the time (even on the job) or log into the HTTP
authentication, log into horde, navigate to nag and then add the task.
That is more complicated than simply sending an email with a task
description in the subject.

Seventh, I would like to be able to create calendar entries or tasks,
based on email that I receive to my own account.

Regards,

James