[horde] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Server's HDD max capacity

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Wed Feb 1 14:51:46 UTC 2017

On 02/01/2017 03:33 AM, Deokgon Kim wrote:

> [...]

First, don't top post.

Second, the answer is: It depends on so many other factors that no one
can give you an accurate answer. Some (not all) of the factors include:

- what else is running on the server?  Is this server going to be
handling ONLY Horde webmail while IMAP and SMTP will be on another
server?  Or will everything be running on this single server?
- If everything is on the same server then what IMAP & SMTP server will
you use and how much email traffic will you be handling?
- what http server will you be using? (nginx is way more efficient than
apache)
- what does your hard disc set up look like and what is the speed of the
individual HDs?  Is it RAID and if so, then which, 1, 5, 10, or what?

Honestly, your HD/RAID speed is probably going to be the first issue you
have as your load increases.  Every email that is read will require
several HD accesses and if this server is handling IMAP and SMTP then
the demands on your HD infrastructure increase a lot more.

And I forgot to mention spam/AV filtering...if this server is handling
that too then the rate of incoming email can hit you much harder than
you would normally expect. Spam/AV filtering is a HUGE load on both
CPU/RAM and HD.

Good luck!

--
Andy Dorman