[horde] Upgrade of Horde from V. 3 to V. 5 failed

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri Mar 10 19:35:24 UTC 2017

Citeren Me <nospam4me at excite.com>:

>> Actually you probably had users logging in with different spellings of
>> their usernames. You authentication backend might be case insensitive,
>> but Horde ist not. Unfortunately the index key from InnoDB tables are
>> case insensitive again, which gets you the errors from horde-db-migrate.
>> You need to fix your user names in the old Horde tables first,
>> normalizing them to all lower-case.
>
> Hi Jon,
> that somewhat worked, I did change capital names and after running
> database upgrade command, some calendar events showed up. I am still
> having some issues and I will need to spend more time digging around.
> Why is Horde case sensitive? Most systems are not and that can be an
> issue. Especially with mobile devices and auto correct. My email
> address is my name. So when I try to log in to horde from my phone,
> I type a name: john, but auto correct changes it to John. It will
> allow me to log in, but I will have issues with database. This is a
> very bad design in Horde.

As you already state, *most* systems are not case sensitive, but some
are so Horde should at least allow to use case sensitive userIDs. If
this is not what you want, Horde allows to change this (and much more)
in the horde/config/hooks.php (example is provided in hooks.php.dist)
by using a preauthenticate hook. For example

// PREAUTHENTICATE HOOK: See above for description of format.
public function preauthenticate($userId, $credentials)
{
      return array(
          'userId' => strtolower($userId),
          'credentials' => $entry
      );
}

will convert all userID values to lowercase *before* authentication.