[horde] Upgrade of Horde from V. 3 to V. 5 failed

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Mar 12 03:10:43 UTC 2017

Quoting Me <nospam4me at excite.com>:

>> As you already state, *most* systems are not case sensitive, but some
>> are so Horde should at least allow to use case sensitive userIDs. If
>> this is not what you want, Horde allows to change this (and much more)
>> in the horde/config/hooks.php (example is provided in hooks.php.dist)
>> by using a preauthenticate hook. For example
>
>> // PREAUTHENTICATE HOOK: See above for description of format.
>> public function preauthenticate($userId, $credentials)
>> {
>> return array(
>> 'userId' => strtolower($userId),
>> 'credentials' => $entry
>> );
>> }
>>
>> will convert all userID values to lowercase *before* authentication.
>
> Hi Arjen de Korte,
> I agree that Horde should allow for case sensitive userID's for the
> systems that do use that. But that function should not be enable by
> default since *most* systems are not case sensitive. And like I
> mentioned earlier, especially since a lot more people log in to the
> email with mobile devices with auto correct function on mobile
> devices. So if my email  address is my name and when I try to log in
> to Horde from my phone, I type a name: "john", but auto correct
> changes it to John. System will allow me to log in, but I will have
> issues with database. This is a very bad decision on Horde part to
> enable this by default.

You are missing the point. This isn't something that we "decided".
It's a matter of the case sensitivity of the authentication backend
(this may be an IMAP server, an LDAP server, a sql server etc...). We
can't assume that any installation is going to want their usernames
always lowercased.

--
mike
The Horde Project