[horde] IMP: Set tmpdir for export of mbox

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 23 11:58:55 UTC 2017

Frank Richter wrote:

> when our users export a large mailbox (up to 50 GByte) it fills up our
> /tmp on the Horde server.
> Is there a way to set the tmpdir to use for the export function?

I think you'd have to change PHP's sys_temp_dir for that.  At least
that's what we did and this allows us to have these kind of temp files
in a convenient location. Clearly, this might collide with the desired
location of other temp files (Horde or PHP), if you have got special
file systems that you would like to use for those temp files.

When our users try to export larger mailboxes, we notice that the
process consumes really large amounts of CPU time. With our setup, it's
the CPU usage that's problematic, rather than the storage space needed
during the export. Is that not an issue in your case? I'm not talking
about mailboxes of 50 GB or such; exporting a mailbox of, say, 1 GB is
quite tedious already, let alone several users doing this at the same time.

Jens