[horde] IMP: Set tmpdir for export of mbox

Frank Richter frank.richter at hrz.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Mar 23 14:57:48 UTC 2017

Jens Wahnes wrote:
> Frank Richter wrote:
>
>> when our users export a large mailbox (up to 50 GByte) it fills up our
>> /tmp on the Horde server.
>> Is there a way to set the tmpdir to use for the export function?
>
> I think you'd have to change PHP's sys_temp_dir for that.  At least that's
> what we did and this allows us to have these kind of temp files in a
> convenient location. Clearly, this might collide with the desired location
> of other temp files (Horde or PHP), if you have got special file systems
> that you would like to use for those temp files.

Thanks. For our PHP 5.4.16 I have to set an environment TMPDIR pointing to
the right directory.
Shall I file an enhancement request for this – IMP export should take
$conf[tmpdir] to stre temp file(s) ?

> When our users try to export larger mailboxes, we notice that the process
> consumes really large amounts of CPU time. With our setup, it's the CPU
> usage that's problematic, rather than the storage space needed during the
> export. Is that not an issue in your case? I'm not talking about mailboxes
> of 50 GB or such; exporting a mailbox of, say, 1 GB is quite tedious
> already, let alone several users doing this at the same time.

Oh yes, while trying these settings I realise this CPU load, too. It writes
every single line to the temp file – it really take ages to finish (> 75
minutes for a folder of 380 MB, and still running).
So, currently export is, well, kind of problematic.

- Frank