[horde] saslauth permission denied

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Fri Mar 31 10:28:55 UTC 2017

Hi Arjen,

----- Nachricht von Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> ---------
   Datum: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:12:24 +0200
     Von: Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
Betreff: Re: [horde] saslauth permission denied
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

> Citeren Andreas Mauser <andreas at mauser.info>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since my wife did not send mails since I moved to my new mail
>> server I cannot say for sure if I missed some permissions somewhere
>> on the new mailserver, or the problem is since I upgraded yesterday
>> to the new Horde version.
>>
>> I am able to send Mails from Horde via my Mailserver (which is on
>> another server).
>> My wife gets the Horde error message: Beim Versenden der Nachricht
>> ist ein Fehler aufgetreten: Server denied authentication
>>
>> The Mailservers log shows:
>> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: connect from webserver
>> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: Anonymous TLS
>> connection established from webserver: TLSv1.2 with cipher
>> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: warning: SASL
>> authentication failure: Password verification failed
>> Mar 31 11:56:20 mauser postfix/smtpd[14215]: warning: webserver:
>> SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
>> Mar 31 11:56:22 mauser postfix/smtpd[14215]: warning: webserver:
>> SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure
>> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: disconnect from webserver
>>
>> My wife has a user account on the mailserver. I use IMP to
>> authenticate. Dovecot is the IMAP server. Postfix the MTA.
>>
>> Can you push me in the right direction please?
>
> What is the value of the following two parameters in your Postfix
> configuration (either main.cf or master.cf)?
>
>   smtpd_sasl_type
>   smtpd_sasl_path

I did not have it in the config file. I never used that on the old server.
I now put the lines in, having now:
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

But it did not lead to a success, with error:

Mar 31 12:29:31 mauser postfix/smtpd[17530]: warning: SASL: Connect to
private/auth failed: No such file or directory
Mar 31 12:29:31 mauser postfix/smtpd[17530]: fatal: no SASL
authentication mechanisms

> It could be that you have (accidentally) setup different
> authentication backends for IMAP and Postfix (which is prone to
> errors). Usually you'll want to keep them the same.

Wouldnt that have an effect all users?
Hm. In which files I would usually look to compare? Shouldnt there be
an option to set sasl to the wished authentication backend(s)?

Many thanks,
Andreas