[horde] saslauth permission denied

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri Mar 31 10:12:24 UTC 2017

Citeren Andreas Mauser <andreas at mauser.info>:

> Hi,
>
> since my wife did not send mails since I moved to my new mail server
> I cannot say for sure if I missed some permissions somewhere on the
> new mailserver, or the problem is since I upgraded yesterday to the
> new Horde version.
>
> I am able to send Mails from Horde via my Mailserver (which is on
> another server).
> My wife gets the Horde error message: Beim Versenden der Nachricht
> ist ein Fehler aufgetreten: Server denied authentication
>
> The Mailservers log shows:
> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: connect from webserver
> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: Anonymous TLS
> connection established from webserver: TLSv1.2 with cipher
> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: Password verification failed
> Mar 31 11:56:20 mauser postfix/smtpd[14215]: warning: webserver:
> SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
> Mar 31 11:56:22 mauser postfix/smtpd[14215]: warning: webserver:
> SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure
> Mar 31 11:41:53 mauser postfix/smtpd[13094]: disconnect from webserver
>
> My wife has a user account on the mailserver. I use IMP to
> authenticate. Dovecot is the IMAP server. Postfix the MTA.
>
> Can you push me in the right direction please?

What is the value of the following two parameters in your Postfix
configuration (either main.cf or master.cf)?

   smtpd_sasl_type
   smtpd_sasl_path

It could be that you have (accidentally) setup different
authentication backends for IMAP and Postfix (which is prone to
errors). Usually you'll want to keep them the same.