[horde] IMP IMAP DB Cache backend lifetime

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 31 09:04:35 UTC 2017

Federico Giannici wrote:

> As you can see, the number of cached folders is decreased al lot (by
> 80%) but the number of cached messages decreased a lot less (only 30%).
>
> 4 MILLIONS records and 8.2 GB are simply too much for the DB to be
> adequately fast.

I think you'd be better off putting cached IMAP data somewhere else,
e.g. into memcached. Except for a tiny Horde installation with very few
users, there's really no point in keeping that kind of data in a
relational database, and most likely it does not even make sense to
store that kind of cached data on disk.

When you put that stuff into memcached instead, it will automatically
expire when your memcache gets full, which may not be the totally by the
book, but should work out ok in practice.

Jens