[horde] IMP IMAP DB Cache backend lifetime

Joao S Veiga jsveiga at rf.com.br
Thu Aug 31 12:38:14 UTC 2017

----- Message from Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de> ---------
> Federico Giannici wrote:
>
>> As you can see, the number of cached folders is decreased al lot
>> (by 80%) but the number of cached messages decreased a lot less
>> (only 30%).
>>
>> 4 MILLIONS records and 8.2 GB are simply too much for the DB to be
>> adequately fast.
>
> I think you'd be better off putting cached IMAP data somewhere else,
> e.g. into memcached. Except for a tiny Horde installation with very
> few users, there's really no point in keeping that kind of data in a
> relational database, and most likely it does not even make sense to
> store that kind of cached data on disk.
>
> When you put that stuff into memcached instead, it will
> automatically expire when your memcache gets full, which may not be
> the totally by the book, but should work out ok in practice.

Hi Jens,

Even with very few users, without Frederico's suggestion the cache in
the database will grow forever if not manually cleared (and the
imp-query-imap-cache doesn't help much for old messages/metadata).

So for the sql cache to properly work in any case, there should be a
way to expire them, as he suggested.

best regards,

Joao