[horde] IMP IMAP DB Cache backend lifetime

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 1 16:19:02 UTC 2017

Joao S Veiga wrote:
> There is a "NOT RECOMMENDED" for sql in the "Horde Cache" configuration
> option; is that what you mean?

Yes.

> But we're talking about the "IMP IMAP Cache", which can use the "Horde
> Cache" (not recommended), or hashtable/nosql/sql (recommended) according
> to imp/backends.php:

You are right, of course, in the sense that that the comments in
.../imp/backends.php do not explicitly discourage using the "sql"
backend for IMAP caching. However, using a relational database server
for purposes of caching is really not a good idea, except for very small
installations where you don't want to run any other service (like Arjen
pointed out). The same reasons apply for IMAP caching that rule out
"sql" as a backend for Horde Cache.

Relational databases take many extra steps to make sure that data
commited to the server is available, consistent, and saved on disk no
matter what.  For cached data, which can easily be restored from another
source, it does not make sense to take these extra steps. Cached data is
just not valueable enough to be stored in a relational database on a
larger scale. When you do put invalueable data into your relational
database server, this can easily backfire when you have many users,
since the amount of changes that any relational database server can
handle is limited.

Jens