[horde] Outlook 2016 and ActiveSync

Volker Then horde40 at volkerthen.com
Mon Jan 29 17:38:02 UTC 2018

Quoting 0x90 <0x90 at wmailer.net>:

> Zitat von Volker Then <horde40 at volkerthen.com>:
>
>> Quoting Volker Then <horde40 at volkerthen.com>:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> did anyone of you manage to make Outlook 2016 work with Horde
>>> ActiveSync? It countlessly asks for username and password, there
>>> is no real manual setup. If I try username at my-horde-domain.com it
>>> is not working too. We don't use full email addresses as login,
>>> just an old-school username (which has mostly nothing to do with
>>> the email addresses associated to the account).
>>>
>>> I tried "Exchange", I tried "Outlook.com" and even "Office365". No
>>> sucecss at all. Autodiscover for said domain is set up, and works
>>> properly in Outlook 2013. With Outlook 2016 I only see 401s and
>>> 200s in apache's logfile, when Outlook tries to get the
>>> autosdiscover file, but it never downloads the xml file.
>>>
>>> Is - at the end - activesync functionality removed from Outlook
>>> 2016 or what am I missing? But old accounts, which OL 2016 took
>>> over from 2013 after the "upgrade", are still working.
>>>
>>> Some of our clients are switching now to OL 2016, and I am kinda
>>> lost with that piece of ****. ;-)
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Volker
>>>

>> Corrected the subject to "Outlook 2016". Sorry.
>>

> I have connected about 17 Outlook 2016 clients to Horde. And they
> all work "as well" as the other 14 Outlook 2013.
>
> "Manual setup or additional server types" -> "Outlook.com or
> Exchange ActiveSync compatible service" -> enter name, email
> address, server, username and password -> finish&done
>
> In Apache I have set these aliases:
>
>         Alias /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync <path_to_horde>/rpc.php
>         Alias /microsoft-server-activesync <path_to_horde>/rpc.php
>         Alias /autodiscover/autodiscover.xml <path_to_horde>/rpc.php
>         Alias /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml <path_to_horde>/rpc.php
>         Alias /AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml <path_to_horde>/rpc.php
>
> I am sure some of these aliases are obsolete by now. Some older
> clients used that aliases and this list is grown historically.
> As far as I can see in the logs Outlook uses only
> "/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync".

There is no "Manual setup or additional server types" to be found in
the set up. Only "I want to set up my account manually" (in german,
see Screenshot). If you select that you come to the next screen full
of colorful icons (Exchange, Outlook, Office 365, IMAP, POP), but
nothing about setting up anything manually. The only way to solve that
on my side was the way over windows's control panel. Other users
complained about that fact too. Everything works now as it should.

In my opinion Micorosft makes the set up procedure worse with every
new version on purpose, so that users switch with their email services
over to Microsoft's office 365 and outlook.com.

Volker