[horde] Installation with apt

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Mar 12 18:55:22 UTC 2018

Am 12.03.2018 um 10:50 schrieb Ralph Ballier
> Hello,
>
> meanwhile, I've tried several times to install horde after the
> tutorial on PEAR. Now I have succeeded once. But otherwise something
> always went wrong. Either I made a mistake in the order of the
> commands or something was wrong with the default setting of the
> server. Then I could not correct anything and there was an incomplete
> installation back. Often I could help by simply copying the files of a
> working installation. But I think that's not a nice state.
>

> Therefore, the question: why do you advise against doing the
> installation as it is usual in Ubuntu, namely with "apt install horde"?
>
> This always ran smoothly on all my other installations.

Installation from distribution, be it openSUSE or debian/ubuntu, is
perfectly OK. You just won't get any support for this from
horde at lists.horde.org - ask your distribution if you get stuck.
Personally, I only run rpm-packaged production versions or git
development versions. I don't actually run pear installations, though
the rpm installation only wraps the pear installation and does some
subtle changes. I even package custom applications using open build
service, creating developer snapshots from git using horde/components.

Please be aware that most distributions strip or change parts of horde,
symlink configs to /etc/foo,  cli scripts to /bin, dictate a certain
setting for horde_role and subsequently where the web-accessible path
is. They may even default to making config dirs not writeable by the web
browser or un-bundle things shipped in the /vendor path of some
libraries. Which is fine from a distribution point of view, but may be
alien to web developers trying to support you on issues.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de