[horde] Horde performance with ActiveSync?

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 14:23:11 UTC 2018

I have a Horde 5.2.17 + PHP 5.6.35 + Postgresql 9.2 + Lighttpd 1.4.49
with 10 iPhones/iPads in ActiveSync/Exchange mode. The users have fairly
large Inboxes - some of them of 20 000+ emails. On IMAP that is not
causing any issues, and hardly any load on the server.

It is the first setup I am doing with more than 1-2 devices in Exchange
mode, and I am trying to get a sense of what performance is 'normal' or
expected.

The server is only an Intel Core2 4400, with not too much other load on
it, but since configuring Horde with ActiveSync it is spending almost
all the time with 2-3 php-cgi processes, each with 30%-50% cpu core
load. There is virtually no access through the Horde web interface, so
it seems to me that these php-cgi processes are serving exclusively
ActiveSync sessions.

I know it can be a vague question, or at least one with a complex
answer, but would anybody with experience in running Horde with
ActiveSync say that the above load sounds about right? I have
implemented as many of the Horde tuning tips I could implement so far -
and I am happy to look into tweaking things further. But if ActiveSync
with Horde is just heavy on the cpu anyway, I will just look into
upgrading the hardware.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.