[horde] Horde performance with ActiveSync?

Arjen de Korte build+horde at de-korte.org
Tue Apr 10 14:41:06 UTC 2018

Citeren Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:

> I have a Horde 5.2.17 + PHP 5.6.35 + Postgresql 9.2 + Lighttpd
> 1.4.49 with 10 iPhones/iPads in ActiveSync/Exchange mode. The users
> have fairly large Inboxes - some of them of 20 000+ emails. On IMAP
> that is not causing any issues, and hardly any load on the server.

Which IMAP server do you use? Is it local to the webserver?

> It is the first setup I am doing with more than 1-2 devices in
> Exchange mode, and I am trying to get a sense of what performance is
> 'normal' or expected.

The load should be negliable for just two devices. What are the
$conf[activesync] settings from horde/config/conf.php?

> The server is only an Intel Core2 4400, with not too much other load
> on it, but since configuring Horde with ActiveSync it is spending
> almost all the time with 2-3 php-cgi processes, each with 30%-50%
> cpu core load. There is virtually no access through the Horde web
> interface, so it seems to me that these php-cgi processes are
> serving exclusively ActiveSync sessions.

Each device connected through ActiveSync will have its own process on
the server for as long as the device is connected. But the load of
these processes should be minimal.

> I know it can be a vague question, or at least one with a complex
> answer, but would anybody with experience in running Horde with
> ActiveSync say that the above load sounds about right? I have
> implemented as many of the Horde tuning tips I could implement so
> far - and I am happy to look into tweaking things further. But if
> ActiveSync with Horde is just heavy on the cpu anyway, I will just
> look into upgrading the hardware.
>
> Any advice gratefully appreciated.

See also https://wiki.horde.org/activesync for recommendations on what
extensions for your IMAP server you should be looking for.