[horde] Installation with apt

Ralph Ballier ballier at mail.schule.de
Sat Apr 14 09:23:04 UTC 2018

  ----- Nachricht von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de> ---------
  Datum: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 19:55:22 +0100
    Von: Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>
Betreff: Re: [horde] Installation with apt
     An: horde at lists.horde.org

> Am 12.03.2018 um 10:50 schrieb Ralph Ballier
>> Hello,
>>
>> meanwhile, I've tried several times to install horde after the
>> tutorial on PEAR. Now I have succeeded once. But otherwise something
>> always went wrong. Either I made a mistake in the order of the
>> commands or something was wrong with the default setting of the
>> server. Then I could not correct anything and there was an incomplete
>> installation back. Often I could help by simply copying the files of a
>> working installation. But I think that's not a nice state.
>>
>> Therefore, the question: why do you advise against doing the
>> installation as it is usual in Ubuntu, namely with "apt install horde"?
>>
>> This always ran smoothly on all my other installations.
>>

> Installation from distribution, be it openSUSE or debian/ubuntu, is
> perfectly OK. You just won't get any support for this from
> horde at lists.horde.org - ask your distribution if you get stuck.
> Personally, I only run rpm-packaged production versions or git
> development versions. I don't actually run pear installations, though
> the rpm installation only wraps the pear installation and does some
> subtle changes. I even package custom applications using open build
> service, creating developer snapshots from git using horde/components.
>
> Please be aware that most distributions strip or change parts of horde,
> symlink configs to /etc/foo,  cli scripts to /bin, dictate a certain
> setting for horde_role and subsequently where the web-accessible path
> is. They may even default to making config dirs not writeable by the web
> browser or un-bundle things shipped in the /vendor path of some
> libraries. Which is fine from a distribution point of view, but may be
> alien to web developers trying to support you on issues.

I'll show you the different versions (even the names are confusing):

  - Ubuntu has "psa-horde" version 5.2.13

  - On www.horde.org there are both the "Horde Groupware Web Edition"
and the "Horde Groupware" version 5.2.22

  - With PLESK only IMP (version 6.2.17) is delivered

  - On www.horde.org IMP has version 6.2.21

  This makes it difficult for the "normal" admin to deal with Horde.
If he does not choose to install PEAR, he is excluded from any further
updates.

  But maybe that's not so bad, because lately there have been hardly
any updates on PEAR. Version 5.2.22 has been around for over half a
year now.

  I also do not know how the development of an update is going. If the
package managers need to take action on Ubuntu and find the parts on
the Internet, or if the developers of the software have to submit an
update to the package administrators.