[horde] Horde and ActiveSync on Android ?

John hordemailing at malkaandmalka.info
Sun Apr 22 16:35:56 UTC 2018

On 16:06 22 April 2018, Andreas Mauser wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> ----- Nachricht von john <hordemailing at malkaandmalka.info> ---------
>      Datum: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 12:41:08 +0100
>        Von: john <hordemailing at malkaandmalka.info>
> Antwort an: john <hordemailing at malkaandmalka.info>
>    Betreff: [horde] Horde and ActiveSync on Android ?
>         An: horde at lists.horde.org
>

> >Hi,
> >We have another issue with syncing Android to the Horde.  The server is a
> >CentOS 6.9 Final, kernel 2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64.
> >
> >We have the Horde (v. 5.2.22) and ActiveSync (v. 2.39.2), and calendar sync
> >works flawlessly with an iPhone 7+.  Any events I add on the web GUI are
> >immediately present on the iPhone (and vice versa), and any deletions -
> >ditto.
> >
> >My wife was having issues with a Samsung S7.  She was using my account and
> >password, and just selected 'calendar' rather than tasks and e-mails.
> >There were no events being synced.   If she deleted the acount and
> >recreated it, then all the events present in the Horde calendar appeared
> >in the calendar on her telephone, but any subsequent edits to the calendar,
> >did not reflect on the telephone.
> >
> >She received her new S9 yesterday, and it's the same story.  She adds the
> >account, and all of the events appear.  I then add another event, and it
> >doesn't appear on her telephone.
> >
> >If she deletes or edits one of the events that she can see, it's synced to
> >the Horde GUI.  In short, it seems that any modifications made outside her
> >mobile device are not reflected on that device unless the account is
> >removed and re-added.
> >
> >Are there known issues with Android and ActiveSync?   Strangely, other
> >ActiveSync accounts she has on her phone (her work account for example) are
> >synching perfectly.
> >
> >I can post the active.log but it's huge.  What am I looking for in it?
>
> It's a long story about not fully compatible activesync clients on
> android phones. It's your wife's activesync client, the builtin one.
>
> The short answer is: Invest a lil and get https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&hl=de
> 99.999% of all your problems just vanish and you get a really useful
> app for your android.
>
> Best,
> Andreas ;-)
>

> >Many thanks.
> >--
>

> ----- Ende der Nachricht von john <hordemailing at malkaandmalka.info> -----

Hi Andreas.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, that didn't work.  We download the app,
and she adds my account to the app.  E-mail syncs instantly (old and new
messages), as do all current events.  But a test event that I add next
Tuesday, doesn't appear on her phone.

OK, so the next question (since my wife doesn't really fancy her telephone
being clogged up with my e-mails - even if she does have my password as I
have hers) is this: is it because we're both using the same account?  If
so, how can I create her an entirely separate account, so that she has her
own e-mails and calendar, but that any events she adds are seen in my
calendar (both GUI and smartphone) and vice versa?

We've been using the Horde for about seven or eight years and only ever
used one account.  Do I add her as a UNIX user on the OS level, or in the
Horde?  And once she's there, how do I see her calendar?  In fact, the best
thing: how do we have just one calendar to which both our accounts have
read-write access?

Thanks.