[horde] Server side email searches with ActiveSync not working

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 16:13:42 UTC 2018

On 18/04/18 09:08, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> On 17/04/18 14:53, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>>
>> On 17/04/18 13:16, Ad-Min wrote:
>>> Sebastian Arcus-2 wrote

> </snip>

>>> I had a similar issue (windows, hmailserver as backend). My problem
>>> was not
>>> that it doesn't work, but rather that clients timed out searching
>>> very large
>>> mailboxes. I was not able to fix this, but it works fine on smaller
>>> mailboxes. You didn't mention anything about mailbox size, so I'm just
>>> throwing this out there.
>>>
>>> I looked at my imap logs on hmailserver and confirmed that the search
>>> was
>>> actually talking place. The issue was the search took about 4 minutes to
>>> complete and the clients (all that I tried) timed out after 60 or 90
>>> seconds.
>>>
>>> I would start by enabling imap logging in your mail server and
>>> looking to
>>> see if the search is actually talking place. Likely it is (since that
>>> is a
>>> working function of horde activesync), so maybe you can track down
>>> the error
>>> from there.
>>
>> Thank you for answering and the suggestions. In the meanwhile I have
>> spent a number of hours last night investigating. One of the
>> possibilities I considered is large mailboxes which would mean long
>> search time. I logged over telnet to Dovecot and manually ran a SEARCH
>> BODY imap command. This indeed took over 5 minutes to return results.
>>
>> Then I configured Lucene FTS indexing plugin in Dovecot - and after
>> indexing the mailbox, the search started over the telnet session went
>> down to less then 1 second! Still, no joy over ActiveSync.
>>
>> Then I went and enabled debugging in Dovecot to the highest level of
>> verbosity. Still, there is no sign of SEARCH commands being sent from
>> Horde to Dovecot. I'm not really sure what is happening, but the
>> ActiveSync server-side email search seems to be broken somehow. I have
>> posted a bug report at Horde.org - maybe someone will get a chance to
>> look into this.
>
> OK - I think I finally figured out the mystery. My IMAP server in
> horde/imp/config/backends.local.php was using an old syntax:
>
> $servers['secure-imap'] = array(
>
> This syntax is not even present any more in the current backends.php -
> so I guess it must have been defaulting to the simple IMAP server -
> which, again, I am guessing that it doesn't support server side email
> searches.
>
> I should have read the upgrade DOCS a lot more closely - but it doesn't
> help at all that there are no warning or error messages in the Horde log
> when an ActiveSync device initiates server-side email searches, but the
> back-end doesn't support it (or at least I didn't find any errors in the
> logs, even in debug mode).
>
> Now everything is working fine and server-side searches return results
> [...]

I am sorry to report that this problem has reared its head again. The
server-side email searches through ActiveSync are being so unpredictable
to the point that 1 in 20 might work.

My Dovecot server has Lucene full text indexing enabled, and if a run a
BODY search through Thunderbird, passing the search to the server over
IMAP, the results come back in 2 seconds, on an Inbox with 20 000 emails.

The same search executed from a phone through ActiveSync doesn't return
any results.

I've turned up debugging all the way up in Dovecot, and when searching
from the phone, all I see is just a bunch of EXAMINE imap commands - no
SEARCH command. I don't know if Horde is supposed to use SEARCH imap
command, or has a different way of doing server side email searches?

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated.