[horde] Status of PHP 7 support?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed May 23 06:00:15 UTC 2018

Am 22.05.2018 um 23:28 schrieb Andy Dorman:
> On 5/22/18 4:11 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> As Slackware has finally moved to PHP 7 in -current, I am trying to
>> get Horde running on PHP 7.2.5. Before posting here about the few
>> things I'm battling to get going, I wanted to know if there is any
>> official or unofficial position on the compatibility of Horde with
>> PHP 7.x. I suppose if there are some known show stoppers, there isn't
>> much point in trying to get things working. Does anybody know what
>> the situation is, please? Searching online for Horde + PHP 7 returns
>> some posts on this list from 2016 - but nothing seemingly more recent.
>
> I just finished updating our debian servers 2 days ago to php 7.0.x
> and I haven't run into any show stoppers so far.  We are using
> php7.0-fpm and the config was the same as for php5-fpm.
>
> The only reason (so far) that we have not moved up to 7.2 is we have a
> special addition to our Horde code that uses php-mcrypt, and php 7.2
> drops mcrypt because it hasn't been updated in over 10 years.
>
> So I am in the process now of converting the mcrypt code to use the
> openssl library.  I will let everyone know when we have Horde running
> with php7.2-fpm (or fail to get it working).

We are running custom apps + kronolith on horde base in php7 (SLES,
openSUSE) using several libraries (Horde_Date, Horde_Rdo,
Horde_Controller, Horde_View, Horde_Ldap ... ) heavily. I haven't
experienced any issues with this platform.

However, I noticed some changes in how Horde_Rdo handles input of
incomplete data arrays for creating new database rows / Entities with
implicit, backend-driven defaults for missing keys.

In my older php 5.3 platform, this just worked. In my newer php 7
platform, this breaks and I handle missing fields overloading
Horde_Rdo_Mapper's respective functions, manipulating the input array as
a workaround. This may be entirely unrelated to PHP as we also changed
from mysql to mariadb.

@Diana: Do you happen to have a reproducer/example of the overloaded
function and the underlying data model? Replace $customername with foo
in case it's too revealing.

I haven't had time to reproduce this properly and dive into the issue,
just a heads-up. It should not harm your standard apps using Rdo
(content tagger mostly?)

Regards

Ralf