[horde] Unable to login to remote mail server using recommended settings

Michael Z Freeman michael at michaelzfreeman.org
Fri Sep 28 18:23:21 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have tried everything. I know the password and username are correct
because I installed Squirrel Mail using my Cpanel hosting to test the
username en and password. I have ...

<?php
$servers['imap'] = array(
    // ENABLED by default; will connect to IMAP port on local server
    'disabled' => false,
    'name' => 'michaelzfreeman.org IMAP Server',
    'hostspec' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
    'hordeauth' => false,
    'protocol' => 'imap',
    'port' => 993,
    'username' => 'michael at michaelzfreeman.org',
    'password' => 'xxxxxx',
    // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see RFC 3501
    // [6.2.3]), so TLS is the only guaranteed authentication available by
    // default.
    'secure' => 'tls',
);

I have tried it as backends.local.php and even removed backends.php
entirely and replaced it with the above. Nothing ever seems to register.
Horde brings up a separate login screen. I enter the mail server login
details which always fails. I don't understand why Horde is asking for
mail server login details in my browser when they are in the local
"backends" file.

Log:

Sep 28 18:01:13 18 HORDE: [imp] [login] Error when communicating with the
mail server. [pid 11074 on line 730 of "/var/www/html/imp/lib/Imap.php"]
Sep 28 18:01:13 18 HORDE: [imp] FAILED LOGIN for
michael at michaelzfreeman.org (Horde user admin) (95.145.14.206) to
{imap://michaelzfreeman.org:993/} [pid 11074 on line 156 of
"/var/www/html/imp/lib/Auth.php"]

It's also a bit of mystery why, seeing as so much is in the Admin GUI that
there is this very arcane PHP file. These days almost everything has
fields to enter the mail server details.

Anyway, I hope users can help me. I may resort to setting up a Dovecot
server local to the horde installation which can handle the remote
connection to the email server then horde can talk to it on the local
host.

Michael