[horde] Is it possible to install Horde in a shared hosting environment ?

Michael Z Freeman michael at michaelzfreeman.org
Sat Oct 6 18:43:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, October 5, 2018 2:30 pm, Grouchy Sysadmin wrote:

> On 10/5/18 5:33 AM, Michael Z Freeman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I've searched for guides showing how to do this which suggests a
>> separate installation of PEAR can be installed in the shared host login
>> directory but I'm not sure if that would allow the horde installation.
>>
>> I do have a PEAR available at the command line. PEAR is also available
>> in cpanel but it's not possible to make it aware of the horde channel
>> (not in
>> any way that I can see anyway). My hosting plan is "Swift" -
>> https://www.a2hosting.co.uk/web-hosting/compare
>>

>> These commands work ...
>>

>> pear channel-discover pear.horde.org pear install horde/horde_role pear
>> run-scripts horde/horde_role
>>
>> Until the last one which gives ...
>>

>> "Could not save horde_dir configuration value to PEAR config."
>>

>> I've tried transferring the horde files and database from an
>> installation that I had on an AWS EC2 server but then horde can't find
>> its php libraries.
>>
>> All the best
>>

>> Michael Freeman
>>

> You can install into a shared environment, but it depends on how pear
> and php are setup. The error makes me think you're trying to save the
> values to the pear system configuration, instead of the user
> configuration. It's unlikely the system configuration is changeable by
> individual accounts. I'd reach out to your hosts support for this.

They sent me back here !

"If you'd like to add a different or custom version, you would need to
figure out how to correctly install and configure it on your own. We
typically suggest consulting the developer's documentation."

I've requested some clarification on if a full installation of Pear is
actually part of the package I'm on.