[horde] Is it possible to install Horde in a shared hosting environment ?

Grouchy Sysadmin sysadmin at grouchysysadmin.com
Fri Oct 5 13:30:49 UTC 2018

On 10/5/18 5:33 AM, Michael Z Freeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've searched for guides showing how to do this which suggests a separate
> installation of PEAR can be installed in the shared host login directory
> but I'm not sure if that would allow the horde installation.
>
> I do have a PEAR available at the command line. PEAR is also available in
> cpanel but it's not possible to make it aware of the horde channel (not in
> any way that I can see anyway). My hosting plan is "Swift" -
> https://www.a2hosting.co.uk/web-hosting/compare
>
> These commands work ...
>
> pear channel-discover pear.horde.org
> pear install horde/horde_role
> pear run-scripts horde/horde_role
>
> Until the last one which gives ...
>
> "Could not save horde_dir configuration value to PEAR config."
>
> I've tried transferring the horde files and database from an installation
> that I had on an AWS EC2 server but then horde can't find its php
> libraries.
>
> All the best
>
> Michael Freeman

You can install into a shared environment, but it depends on how pear
and php are setup. The error makes me think you're trying to save the
values to the pear system configuration, instead of the user
configuration. It's unlikely the system configuration is changeable by
individual accounts. I'd reach out to your hosts support for this.