[horde] problem with new install on new Centos 7.5 system

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Mon Dec 3 21:41:30 UTC 2018

On 2018/11/29 9:32 a.m., Edward Burr wrote:

> Another thought, has anyone actually installed Horde Groupware on
> CentOS 7.5 yet? Is there a preferred Linux distribution? I chose
> CentOS because I work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a daily
> basis at work.

Yes, definitely.  I have a couple of CentOS 7.x VPSs with Horde
Groupware Webmail Edition installed.

> Though I am concerned that with the Horde_Backup / Horde_Core
> version requirement mismatch and their independence from any Linux
> distribution, I wonder how anyone has gotten around that?

I don't have Horde_Backup installed anywhere; not sure where that
requirement stems from.

> Is there something missing from the install documentation at
> https://www.horde.org/apps/groupware/docs/INSTALL that I should
> know about?

It looks pretty straightforward to me, and equivalent to the
horde/webmail channel.  (Incidentally, are you sure you don't want the
webmail edition?  Most people want IMP, which is bundled with the
Webmail Edition but not bare Groupware).

Looking at the steps you've gone through, I'd recommend a couple of
things.  One is to get a newer version of PHP using the webtatic
repository:

https://webtatic.com/projects/yum-repository/

The stock PHP even for RHEL/CentOS 7.x is PHP 5.4, and you'd likely be
better off with at least 5.6 if not 7.1, both of which are available
from webtatic. Don't neglect the yum-plugin-replace package (also from
webtatic) which allows you to do things like:

"yum replace php-common --replace-with php71w-common"

which will figure out all the dependencies and (mostly) seamlessly
replace one version of all your installed php packages with another.

The other thing I'd change is to add -B to your pear command line for
the initial install, so:

"pear install -a -B horde/groupware" (or horde/webmail if you also
want IMP)

which will leave out the binary dependencies.  You should be able to
install most of the required pecl modules directly from the webtatic
repository; the only one I actually had to build locally is the
optional (but recommended) horde_lz4 package.

- ----
Nels Lindquist
<nlindq at maei.ca>