[horde] temp files in horde

Arjen de Korte build+horde at de-korte.org
Wed Apr 1 11:16:53 UTC 2020

Citeren cheese at nosuchhost.net:

> dear all,
>
> hope you are being healthy even during corona-time.
>
> i have a question concerning $conf['tmpdir'] from conf.php
>
> we have several horde-instances behind a loadbalancer and those
> hordes share a single tmpdir. this was because if we take down one
> of our horde-machine for maintenance we would like our users to be
> able to work without interruption.

Sharing a single tmpdir is probably *not* the best idea. What you
really want in this scenario, is sharing the session data (and maybe
VFS). In order to do that, configure a Session Handler that is able to
support this (a Distributed Hashtable or if you can't use that, either
SQL or NoSQL Database). You really shouldn't use filebased sessions in
a load balancing setup. You may need to configure a common
$conf[vfs][params][vfsroot] too.

> now we see alot of files in that shared folder:
>
> * we have a lot of img* files, some of them with size 0
> * Horde* files, some of them empty, some with image-data, some with
> contents of adressbooks
> * horde_dns.cache - we once had troubles as that file got currupted
> and all apaches crashed because of that.
> * horde_form* - most of them empty
> * impatt* - seem to be attachments
> * php* - images and other data
> * .horde/imp/compose/uuid files - some seem to be complete mails,
> some just images, zip-files
>
> are there any implications in sharing those folder between all
> instances of our hordes? maybe horde1 and horde2 try to use the same
> file?
>
> how often should we delete files from that folder. we had lots of
> old files there, some of them several weeks or even months.

Clearing the session files after $conf[session][max_time] is probably
safe to do. Regarding stuff in the VFS, depends on how you configured
this.