[horde] Calendar in mobile view not to edit

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Jul 4 17:18:15 UTC 2020

Quoting Frank Lienhard <frank at mclien.de>:

>> That's by intention. In "smartmobile" mode, no calendar entries can be
>> added or edited.
> OK? Maybe it's just me, but I completely missing the point if that
> intention.

"Intention" is maybe not the right word. The mobile view was developed
way back in the early days of jQuery Mobile. That was actually work
sponsored by someone who only paid us to develop a read only view.

> Can't that behavior be changed directly?
> Or do I misunderstand that is only a different view on the same data.

It is a completely different user interface accessing the same backend
data. You can't just change the behavior, you have to actually
implement it.

>> There are two ways around this:
>>
>> 1) When logging in using a mobile browser, one may choose another mode
>> to use (e.g. dynamic mode). Then the regular user interface..
> as you stated not usable at all on a phone.
>>
>> 2) Instead of using Horde's web interface directly on the mobile device,
>> one can make use one of the sync mechanisms that Horde provides, i.e.
>> CalDAV or ActiveSync, to sync the calendar entries from the server to
>> the mobile device and back. This allows for the use of some tailored app
>> on the mobile device ...
> Clearly above most average phone user. Even, if you search for some
> advice on that.

I disagree. Setting up your email accounts on a smart phone is pretty
much a standard part of owning a smart phone these days. For
ActiveSync you need nothing other than your Horde credentials, and
possibly the server hostname - the same hostname as your webmail server.

> If you find any, it mostly will integrate with your google calendar,
> which IMHO directly contradicts the idea of hosting an own horde instance.
> So "some tailored app" is kinda vague advice, if you have the usual
> smartphone user. Google calendar surely is no option here.

I'm not sure I understand this point. I don't believe the poster was
recommending some "tailored app". The vast majority of smart phones
have built in clients to work with ActiveSync/Exchange.

While I agree it would be nice to add - and at this point, update -
the mobile interface for Kronolith or other Horde apps, there just
isn't enough developer bandwidth or funding to make that happen.
Especially not for something that, arguably, most people wouldn't use
and instead opt for the solution that completely integrates into their
mobile device's existing calendar...