[horde] Calendar in mobile view not to edit

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Jul 4 20:21:01 UTC 2020

Quoting Frank Lienhard <frank at mclien.de>:

>>> Can't that behavior be changed directly?
>>> Or do I misunderstand that is only a different view on the same data.
>>
>> It is a completely different user interface accessing the same backend
>> data. You can't just change the behavior, you have to actually implement
>> it.
> OK, that explains that. Is the code under some free license?

Our entire code base is open source, yes.

>>> Clearly above most average phone user. Even, if you search for some
>>> advice on that.
>>
>> I disagree. Setting up your email accounts on a smart phone is pretty
>> much a standard part of owning a smart phone these days. For ActiveSync
>> you need nothing other than your Horde credentials, and possibly the
>> server hostname - the same hostname as your webmail server.
> OK apologizes from my site here.
> I might lag some knowledge her, as I'm not using a smartphone myself.
>
> To clarify a bit: In this case I'm looking for the use of kronolith
> only. As in "parallel to the existing stuff on the phone". And as I
> understand it, the build-in/ integrated functions/apps would mean, that
> the kronolith calendar data would end up in the build-in google
> calendar, which is not wanted.
> So, is there a way to have another calendar app, which only syncs with
> kronolith and won't sync to the google calendar?

You can download an app such as "Nine" and tell it not to integrate
with the device's native calendar.

> Or does this approach mean to go "the long" way and use a phone with a
> custom ROM like linageOS without any google apps?

Not sure what Google apps have to do with it. The calendar database
belongs to the device. Google apps are but one of the apps that write
to the calendar database on the device.

>>> If you find any, it mostly will integrate with your google calendar,
>>> which IMHO directly contradicts the idea of hosting an own horde
>>> instance.
>>> So "some tailored app" is kinda vague advice, if you have the usual
>>> smartphone user. Google calendar surely is no option here.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this point. I don't believe the poster was
>> recommending some "tailored app". The vast majority of smart phones have
>> built in clients to work with ActiveSync/Exchange.
> Maybe I got this wrong, but as I understand it "vast majority" also
> means "vast majority of your data is owned my google". I kinda like to
> avoid this by having a horde instance hosted myself. Syncing to the
> standard build-in stuff (AKA into googles cloud) seems to contradict the
> idea.

Your data is not uploaded or "owned by google" when you use
activesync. Yes, even if you are viewing the data from Horde on the
same screen as you see calendar entries by Google Calendar. They are
separate apps, that both write to the same calendar database. Events
on your Horde calendar are only sent to/received from Horde.

>> While I agree it would be nice to add - and at this point, update - the
>> mobile interface for Kronolith or other Horde apps, there just isn't
>> enough developer bandwidth or funding to make that happen. Especially
>> not for something that, arguably, most people wouldn't use and instead
>> opt for the solution that completely integrates into their mobile
>> device's existing calendar...
> I agree that most people won't use that one, but most people aren't
> caring about their personal data and privacy, which I think is the
> reason for that behavior.

As I said, your Horde data is not shared with Google by using the same
calendar database.  Who knows what data they be collecting from your
android system in general, though... in which case if you are THAT
concerned about privacy from Google you probably shouldn't be using an
android device anyway.