[horde] Issue on fresh install with translation and carddav

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jul 29 12:35:47 UTC 2020

Am 29.07.20 um 11:55 schrieb Ralf Lang:
> Hi Laurant,
>
> Am 28.07.2020 um 16:31 schrieb Laurent MÄNNLEIN:
>> Laurent MÄNNLEIN <lmannlein at auditiongineys.fr> le mar. 28 juil. 2020
>> 09:17:56 UTC  a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I hope that somebody can help me trigger this issue with a brand new
>>> server.
>>>
>>> I have installed a brand new Debian Buster server the same way I have
>>> my old Debian Jessie server with Postfix/Dovecot/Apache2/MariaDB.
>>> I would like to transfer all my email system from the old server to
>>> the new one.
>>> I have installed Horde using Pear repository on the new one like the
>>> old one.
>>>
>>> When I get to the login page, the fields displayed are always
>>> Username and Password and never get translated as on my old server.
>>> Even after the login page all the translation process does not work.
>>> I have worked with Michael Rubinski who helped me get some trace from
>>> the Horde system and the translation seems to gets blocked with the
>>> validation process.
>>>
>>> I have installed locally using 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' the en_US,
>>> es_ES, es_CA languages all in UTF-8 and I never got the translation
>>> for all of them, I still get an error with the validation of the
>>> language which is throwing back to the system default language
>>> 'fr_FR' but the strings displayed at the login page are still
>>> 'Username' and 'Password' even if the 'Language' box displays
>>> 'Français'. The same when the language box displays 'Català' or
>>> 'Español' I get english titles.
>>>
>>> I have checked if it was a debian problem but when installing
>>> Roundcube Webmail, all the translation is fine.
>>> I also have another web site with Wordpress which is fine also for
>>> translation.
>>> So for me it is only one thing which is not working with Horde but I
>>> can't figure out what. I have verified the debian packages and the
>>> Horde requirements and compared them with the old server and all
>>> seems to be equal.
>>> On the Debian 9 I have PHP 7.4 (upgraded from 5.x to 7.1, 7.2 and
>>> 7.3) and on the Debian 10 I have PHP 7.3.
>>> The Horde server is 5.2.22 with all the latest updates got from Pear.
>>>
>>> I have also followed the
>>> 'https://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/TRANSLATIONS' page and the
>>> results where:
>>>
>>> 1.2.1:
>>>
>>>     locale -a

>>> C.UTF-8
>>> fr_FR.utf8
>>> POSIX
>>>
>>> 1.2.2: Yes, the files are stored correctly
>>>
>>> 1.2.3:
>>>
>>>     strings /bin/tar | grep memory
>>>
>>> _obstack_memory_used
>>> memory exhausted
>>>
>>>     gettext tar "memory exhausted"
>>>
>>> mémoire épuisée
>>>
>>>     (LANG=fr_FR; LANGUAGE=fr_FR; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR; gettext tar
>>> "memory exhausted" )
>>>

>>> bash: warning etlocale : LC_MESSAGES : impossible to change lang
>>> parameter (fr_FR) : no such file or directory
>>>
>>> memory exhausted
>>>
>>>     (LANG=fr_FR.utf8; LANGUAGE=fr_FR.utf8; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8;
>>> gettext tar "memory exhausted" )
>>>
>>> mémoire épuisée
>>>
>>> 1.2.4:
>>>
>>>     ( TEXTDOMAINDIR=/var/www/horde/locale LANG=fr_FR.utf8
>>> LANGUAGE=fr_FR.utf8 LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8 gettext horde "Calendar" )
>>>
>>> Agenda
>>>
>>> I have created the /var/www/horde/langtest.php file as following :
>>>
>>> <?php
>>>
>>> setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, 'fr_FR.UTF-8');
>>> putenv('LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8');
>>> putenv('LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8');
>>> // use the tar test.
>>> echo dgettext('tar', 'memory exhausted');
>>> echo '<br />';
>>>
>>> // Specify location of translation tables
>>> bindtextdomain('horde', './locale');
>>>
>>> // Choose domain
>>> textdomain('horde');
>>>
>>> // Print the already tested message
>>> echo _("Calendar");
>>> echo '<br />';
>>>
>>> // this should print the same.
>>> echo dgettext('horde', 'Calendar');
>>>
>>> ?>
>>>
>>> And the result is:
>>>
>>> memory exhausted
>>> Calendar
>>> Calendar
>>>

>>> I have also found a new issue with the address book when I want to
>>> get access to the Carddav URL which throws this issue:
>>> Horde::Fatal Error
>>> A fatal error has occurred
>>> Class 'Sabre\DAVACL\PrincipalBackend\AbstractBackend' not found
>>> Details have been logged for the administrator.
>>>
>>> I have browsed all the mailing list history and I could find a thread
>>> about this but it was with a GIT installation process and without any
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> So, If somebody has a clue on any issues related here, you are REALLY
>>> VERY welcome as this is one month or so that I cannot migrate users
>>> to the new server due to the translation problem firstly, but also
>>> regarding the second issue with the Carddav (just checked and same
>>> issue with the Caldav).
>>>
>>> Thanks for any hint you can give me to fix these issues.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Laurent
>> I have solved the CardDAV/CalDAV issue, a bad removal of the
>> /usr/share/php/Sabre folder.
>> I have re-created it with all inside and everything is fine for this
>> part.
>>
>> So the only issue now that I am facing since more than one month and
>> that I can't figure out is with the translation which keeps displaying
>> english default titles instead of the translated ones.
>>
>> If somebody have a clue on this, you are VERY welcome!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Laurent
>>

> I have reproduced a similar problem with a horde installation from
> master branch. It happens in a container environment based on openSUSE
> but it does not happen in a VM environment with the same code. I am
> trying to fix that. Maybe we get a solution for your other distribution
> out of this.

Laurent, can you please run this snippet in the horde admin php shell?

http://localhost/horde/admin/phpshell.php

print_r($registry->nlsconfig->languages);

foreach (array_keys($registry->nlsconfig->languages) as $lang) {
    print "$lang\n";
    print $registry->nlsconfig->validLang($lang) ? "OK\n" : "NOT OK\n";
}

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer