[horde] Issue on fresh install with translation and carddav

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jul 29 09:55:50 UTC 2020

Hi Laurant,

Am 28.07.2020 um 16:31 schrieb Laurent MÄNNLEIN:
> Laurent MÄNNLEIN <lmannlein at auditiongineys.fr> le mar. 28 juil. 2020
> 09:17:56 UTC  a écrit :
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I hope that somebody can help me trigger this issue with a brand new
>> server.
>>
>> I have installed a brand new Debian Buster server the same way I have
>> my old Debian Jessie server with Postfix/Dovecot/Apache2/MariaDB.
>> I would like to transfer all my email system from the old server to
>> the new one.
>> I have installed Horde using Pear repository on the new one like the
>> old one.
>>
>> When I get to the login page, the fields displayed are always
>> Username and Password and never get translated as on my old server.
>> Even after the login page all the translation process does not work.
>> I have worked with Michael Rubinski who helped me get some trace from
>> the Horde system and the translation seems to gets blocked with the
>> validation process.
>>
>> I have installed locally using 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' the en_US,
>> es_ES, es_CA languages all in UTF-8 and I never got the translation
>> for all of them, I still get an error with the validation of the
>> language which is throwing back to the system default language
>> 'fr_FR' but the strings displayed at the login page are still
>> 'Username' and 'Password' even if the 'Language' box displays
>> 'Français'. The same when the language box displays 'Català' or
>> 'Español' I get english titles.
>>
>> I have checked if it was a debian problem but when installing
>> Roundcube Webmail, all the translation is fine.
>> I also have another web site with Wordpress which is fine also for
>> translation.
>> So for me it is only one thing which is not working with Horde but I
>> can't figure out what. I have verified the debian packages and the
>> Horde requirements and compared them with the old server and all
>> seems to be equal.
>> On the Debian 9 I have PHP 7.4 (upgraded from 5.x to 7.1, 7.2 and
>> 7.3) and on the Debian 10 I have PHP 7.3.
>> The Horde server is 5.2.22 with all the latest updates got from Pear.
>>
>> I have also followed the
>> 'https://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/TRANSLATIONS' page and the
>> results where:
>>
>> 1.2.1:
>>
>>     locale -a

>> C.UTF-8
>> fr_FR.utf8
>> POSIX
>>
>> 1.2.2: Yes, the files are stored correctly
>>
>> 1.2.3:
>>
>>     strings /bin/tar | grep memory
>>
>> _obstack_memory_used
>> memory exhausted
>>
>>     gettext tar "memory exhausted"
>>
>> mémoire épuisée
>>
>>     (LANG=fr_FR; LANGUAGE=fr_FR; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR; gettext tar
>> "memory exhausted" )
>>

>> bash: warning etlocale : LC_MESSAGES : impossible to change lang
>> parameter (fr_FR) : no such file or directory
>>
>> memory exhausted

> [...]
I have reproduced a similar problem with a horde installation from
master branch. It happens in a container environment based on openSUSE
but it does not happen in a VM environment with the same code. I am
trying to fix that. Maybe we get a solution for your other distribution
out of this.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer