[horde] Is horde still active?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Oct 5 07:10:48 UTC 2020

Hi Thomas,

Am 04.10.20 um 08:30 schrieb Thomas Trepper:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a long-term Horde Groupware user and I have to make a decision to use Horde again on the next server or something else. I always loved Horde even if the UI feels a bit dusty and outdated. :)
>
> I looked at the releases and the last release announcement for Horder Groupware was 2017 (https://lists.horde.org/archives/announce/2017/001263.html) so I am wondering if there is still active development? What are the plans and when is the next (major) release planned?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Thomas

There is quite some development going on under the hood at the framework
and infrastructure level. This is not directly visible to the users and
so far it has not been released to stable versions.

Currently my focus is

- composer based install rather than pear (currently for dev-master only
but it works for me)
- Shipping a ready-to-run docker container based setup (currently only
docker-compose, kubernetes as time permits or a sponsor pops up.
Currently only based on the dev-master setup mentioned above)
- Introducing more modern standards (namespaces, PSR-4 autoloading for
new code, PSR-11 version of the injector, PSR-12 coding standards as
applicable)
- Improvements to the controller framework
- A more modern approach to the way the UI is delivered (Typescript, React).

Bottom line is while things have been slow for a while, Horde is not
going away.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer