[horde] Error communicating with server during search

Mike barjunk at attglobal.net
Wed Dec 16 15:51:50 UTC 2020

> Quoting Mike <barjunk at attglobal.net>:
>
>> Had a recent upgrade on my server and got an "Error communicating
>> with server" when trying to do a search for an e-mail.
>>
>> I'm happy to troubleshoot this, but really don't know where to
>> start since all the other functions seem to work as I have known
>> them to.
>>
>> For example, I can get and read messages, send them and use active-sync.
>>
>> Using "doveadm search..." on the mailbox returns records, so I
>> don't think it is the mail servers issue.
>>
>> I turned on test.php and it didn't reveal anything obvious.
>>
>> What should I do next for further troubleshooting?
>
> Check the horde/server/php logs for errors. Also, enable IMAP debug
> logging in imp/config/backends.local.php - this will output the
> conversation between Horde's imap client and the mail server.

Looks like some sort of timeout occured.

Additionally the mail.err log showed: Fatal: master: service(imap):
child 3480 killed with signal 11 (core dumped

Imap debug log below....what should I do next?

>> SEARCH: Expired from cache [INBOX]
C: 6 UID SORT RETURN (ALL COUNT) (ARRIVAL) UTF-8 TEXT dovecot
>> Slow Command: 9.539 seconds
S: * OK Searched 46% of the mailbox, ETA 0:10
>> Slow Command: 9.884 seconds
S: * OK Searched 78% of the mailbox, ETA 0:05