[horde] Can't send to BCC or CC without To: using activesync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Jan 31 18:35:23 UTC 2021

Quoting Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com>:

>>> Well, I applied the patch and I'm still getting the error on the
>>> device that "The message was rejected by the server".   I am not
>>> seeing the error in the horde logs any longer.  I don't see any
>>> maillog or apache errors either.  I cleared my php session cache
>>> and restarted.  I'm not sure how else I can help.  I'll keep
>>> looking.
>>
>> Try checking your SMTP server's mail.log file for any errors. I
>> just tested this locally with only a cc and then again with only a
>> BCC and it successfully sent the email.
>>
>>> Thanks for the fast response!
>>>
>>> brent
>>>

>> --
>> mike
>> The Horde Project
>> http://www.horde.org
>> https://www.facebook.com/hordeprojecthttps://www.twitter.com/hordeproject
>
> I've dug through any/all mail logs (using postfix).  The mail is NOT
> being sent to the SMTP server.  This is on IOS, I don't have another
> device handy to try.  I CAN send fine using IMP/Dimp and using mutt
> by only having the BCC or CC line set with the To line empty.  It
> doesn't appear to be a local error, but something funky with Apple,
> probably?

It could be the way iOS is encoding the wbxml for the email with the
missing To. The Second error you listed below also points to something
funky going on with the wbxml. Essentially it's saying that something
we expect to be there is not present. The only way to debug this
further is to look at a detailed activesync log captured during the
attempted email.

> I note that there's a configuration entry for Active Sync logging (
> $conf[activesync][logging][path]).  I have this set to a file, but
> the file is never generated?  Trying to get more detail out of this
> error.

If you are selecting to output a file for each device (which you
should be), then this configuration value should be a directory path,
not a file path. I.e., the directory to place the individual log
files. The files are named after the deviceIds that they are capturing
for.