[horde] Two questions on IMP ; unread messages on folders icons ; IMAP idle

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Feb 11 13:04:26 UTC 2021

4tybf3kvvj at snkmail.com wrote:

> 1.  Is it possible to get IMP / Mail to show unread messages on non-INBOX folders?  I have filters setup and the messages are properly moved to folders (as ununread) but I don't see an "unread count" or a "badge" on these folders after the messages are moved.

Right-click on a folder and chose "Check for New Mail" from the context
menu. This will not only check for new e-mails in this folder once, but
permanently.

> 2.  I'm on Horde 5.2.x ; is there a way to enable IMAP "idle"?  Right now I have a 30 second poll interval but as more users are added would prefer to leverage IMAP IDLE support.  Mail server is Dovecot if it matters.

Well, Horde/Imp uses IMAP IDLE features and those associated with it
(e.g. QRESYNC) to be able to check if there are new messages available
on the mail server.  For all I can tell, this works quite well when used
in combination with the IMAP proxy software (originally developed by the
squirrelmail project and pretty much unmaintained nowadays, unfortunately).

AFAIK, there is no feature to immediately alert an Imp user of an
incoming message, i.e. there is always polling between the AJAX client
in the browser and the Horde server.  I suppose it would be feasible to
achieve immediate alerts by using a more modern approach like
Websockets, but I'm not aware of any efforts to implement anything like
this.  I think Horde's ActiveSync client does something along those
lines already, i.e. permanently keep open a connection between the the
client and the Horde server to be able to signal incoming messages as
they appear.  But since I don't use ActiveSync, there's only so much I
can tell about it anyways.

Jens