[horde] New install using Git and composer

Mike barjunk at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 15:17:45 UTC 2021

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Am 14.03.21 um 02:50 schrieb Mike:
>>
>> I'm trying to do a brand new install on a new server using the git
>> install method but get an error that pear repository has been removed
>> from Composer 2.0.
>>
>> I believe my composer.json file has the correct settings, given what I
>> have found on the web.
>>
>> Can someone give me a push in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Short story:
>
> You're not doing anything wrong.
>
> If you get an *ERROR*, you are likely using composer 2.0.  Horde
> currently only works with composer 1.x.
>
> Your other option would be to wait a week and then take a chance with my
> development build.
>

> Long Story:
>
> The official horde/ repo uses composer files which are really wrappers
> for pear files.
> My own development repo has done away with most PEARisms by now. It runs
> off a custom satis server and is intended for use with composer.
>
> - All horde internal dependencies are native composer dependencies
> - All external dependencies which are available from packagist are
> native composer dependencies
> - Some dependencies have been eliminated through refactoring
> - Some previously bundled code has been unbundled into composer native
> dependencies
> - There are still some pear type dependencies left. While Kiernan has
> provided a patch to make the horde installer plugin for composer ready
> for composer 2, I have not yet found the proper solution for the
> remaining cases.
>
> a) Host forks of these myself on satis
> b) Take ownership/maintainership and move them to packagist
> c) Get rid of them with appropriate replacements
> d) Bundle them into the app
>
> Each option has downsides, an immediate investment and a future burden.
> However, I should most likely just pick any and go ahead as composer 2
> is not really new anymore and composer 1 will be a dead horse soon.
>

> The problems are:
>
> Crypt_CHAP: passwd app
> XML_SVG: image library
> File_Fstab: Horde Base App
> Text_Figlet: Core library, optional, wicked wiki app, optional
> Text_CAPTCHA: Core library, optional
>
> There may be more to find in the less mainstream apps. I think wicked
> has some bundled PEAR stuff in its belly.
>

>> --
>
> Ralf Lang
> Linux Consultant / Developer
> Tel.: +49-170-6381563
> Mail: lang at b1-systems.de
> B1 Systems GmbH
> Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg / http://www.b1-systems.de
> GF: Ralph Dehner / Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537

I downgraded to composer 1.8.6 (from some article I ran across) and
after installing php-pear and unzip (Ubuntu), things started to seem
like they are working.

I'm happy to try the composer 2 stuff you come up with in a week or
so.  Not in a rush for my install.

I looked here
https://github.com/horde/base/blob/master/doc/INSTALL.rst and found an
install file that looks to be the "old" way of installing using Pear,
etc.

What would be the way to get things installed if I wanted to base it
off of the git repo?

I've also successfully downloaded horde-installer-plugin but it wasn't
immediately clear how to go about using that and at what stage.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Mike