[horde] Add Travel Time to Calendar Appointment

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Oct 7 16:10:29 UTC 2021

Ralf Lang wrote:
> Quoting Horst Simon <horst.simon2 at icloud.com>:
>
>> Is it possible to add to Calendar Appointments travel time?

> I am not very sure I understand that feature. At the moment you can make
> descriptions or you can add resources (like meeting rooms or any
> demonstration material you need to have reservation on or take with
> you), Attendees and a location but there is no field for travel time.
> You could add separate appointments before and after representing
> travel. I see it can be cumbersome if done a lot.

I think he is referring to a special attribute that is used in the Apple
sphere (Mac, iPhone, etc.) for calendar entries. When adding a new
calendar entry there, one can make the iPhone consider the time needed
to travel to the location where the event is supposed to take place.
That is, one will be reminded ahead of time to leave the current
location to make it to the new place in time for the event.

I'm not sure how this is represented in the iCalendar format, but I
suppose it's just another "custom field" of data that is stored on the
server. After all, the server doesn't know the user's current location,
so it can't make any assumtion how long it may take to travel to the
event's location (let alone traffic conditions, mode of travel, etc.).
Therefore, the actual time required must be something that is calculated
on the client (iPhone). With this in mind, it might be possible to save
this kind of information in Horde, once the new feature you described in
your blog recently
<https://www.ralf-lang.de/2021/10/03/custom-icalendar-data-in-kronolith-nag/>
is available for regular Horde users.

Jens