[horde] Setup OAuth2 with Horde-Imp

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:30:24 UTC 2022

> Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to setup Protonmail and their bridge to replace GMail
>> as Horde's email backend server on my selfhosted VPS.  However its
>> looking more complicated than expected (sigh).
>>
>> In the meantime, I have until May 30th to setup OAuth2 to be able
>> to continue using Gmail. Thanks Google...
>>
>> However, I cannot find any instructions on how to do so, and the
>> maillist is very quiet these days.
>>
>> The way my system is setup is that Gmail's credentials are used by
>> IMP for Horde's authentication (hordeauth => true in
>> imp/backends.local.php).
>>
>> GMail's IMAP server is setup also in imp/backends.local.php
>> (imap.gmail.com:993) and to send emails, Gmail's SMTP server is
>> setup under Horde's config > Mailer section (smtp.gmail.com:587).
>>
>> Just to be sure I understand the "mechanics" involved here, can
>> someone just confirm this statement:  On my setup, IMP passes the
>> credentials received at the login page to GMail's server which
>> accepts them.  IMP receiving a successful reply from GMail, it lets
>> the user enter (authenticate) into Horde.  Email sync'ing (folder
>> structure, receiving emails, etc) is done via the IMP's
>> backends.local.php (IMAP section), and sending email from this VPS
>> is accomplished via the Mailer section of Horde using GMail's SMTP
>> server.
>
> This is correct in a general sense, yes.
>
>> Everything else in Horde (calendar, contacts, task lists, notes,
>> tickets, etc) has never been setup to be stored remotely.  It is
>> stored in Horde's MYSQL database.
>>
>> If I lose connectivity to GMail, I CANNOT LOGIN to Horde.  This is
>> a major issue.
>>
>> I need IMP to handle OAuth2 to be able to use GMail's IMAP.
>
> The good news is that our IMAP client supports the required XOAUTH
> mechanism that Google's IMAP servers require. The bad news is that
> neither Horde or IMP has been modified to use that yet.
>
>> I need Horde to handle OAuth2 to be able to use GMail's SMTP.
>>
>> Question 1:  How can I setup a local authentication that would NOT
>> rely on external servers?  This VPS is behind a strong FW so I am
>> OK with standard USR:PSW combination.
>
> Pick another authentication option, like "SQL". Note that this won't
> allow you to use IMP in your current setup.
>
>> Question 2:  Is it possible to setup OAuth2 to be able to use
>> GMail's IMAP and SMTP servers?
>
> Possible? Yes, but will require work in Horde and IMP to take
> advantage of our IMAP client's capabilities.
>
>> Hopefully the maillist is still alive and well  and someone can
>> guide/help me!
>>
>> Thank you !!
>> Louis-Philippe Allard
>> lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
>> Sent using Horde Groupware on GNU/Linux
>> --

> mike
> The Horde Project
> http://www.horde.org
> [...]

Thanks for the reply Michael,

Okay I changed the auth backend to MySQL, using my GMail creds I can
login to horde without having IMP connect to Gmail.  This is good as
at least I will have access to my other functions (Kronolith, etc).

For Horde/Imp not modified to use XOauth, is this something that you'd
think would be under way, or are we looking at months/years of
development?
  Louis-Philippe Allard
lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sent using Horde Groupware on GNU/Linux