[horde] reinstall advice with data preservation needed

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Mon Jan 23 18:46:56 UTC 2023

  Quoting Frank Lienhard <frank at mclien.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I have been too sloppy with updates, so I'm in the following situation:
>
> Current install is horde 5.2.16 running with php7.4.
> I use shared hosting, so the option of running php7.x will end soon.
>
> I dumped the horde DB and made a backup of the /html/horde directory.
>
> As I understand it, the installation way of choice would be via
> composer (not with PEAR anymore) as described here:
> https://github.com/horde/horde-deployment#readme
>
> So after backing up the db and the horde dir of my current 5.2.16
> install, can I simply delete the old horde install dir and start
> with the composer deployment?
>
> Do I not need to set up a DB first (at least in my case on a shared
> hosting, where the db names have to follow a certain naming pattern?).
>
> thanks

I've just had the database already loaded in mysql/mariadb. I then
install composer horde on a php8 system. I don't recommend copying
your previous conf.php files over. Upon first access of horde, you
will go right into the configuration screen. From there, you just go
to the Database tab and point it to your already-setup horde database.
You will see on the Configuration screeen that schemas/tables need to
be updated. Do the updates and make sure they run without error, then
configure your authentication backend. I'm using imp.

I do have an issue with Turba. If anyone has attached a photo/picture
into a contact, then you get an error if/when you try to modify that
contact. The picture still shows, but you can't edit the contact as
you get a php error. Trying to see where/how to submit that bug. Do I
do it on the turba mailing list? I did that before for a Turba bug and
nobody responded; however, I see that the issue I was having was
recently fixed. So?

brent