[horde] ActiveSync Search on Android Gmail app

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 23:25:55 UTC 2023

On 10/11/2022 15:49, Volker Jordan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> does anyone use the ActiveSync on an Android 12 phone in combination of the Gmail app ?
>
> Everything works beside of the search.
>
> After I entered the search term, the phone seem to do something, and after some seconds the message shows up:
>
> There was a problem while syncing this folder. Please try again later.

This is an older post - but I will add my answer in case it is useful
for anyone else coming along. I use Horde 5.2.23 with Dovecot + FTS with
ActiveSync and Android phones and iPhones. I actually just looked into
issues with the Gmail app on Android just last week. Search results
through the Gmail app were completely unpredictable - never returning
all the expected entries, sometimes returning nothing. After a few hours
of troubleshooting, I gave up and installed Bluemail. I moved from
Bluemail to Gmail about a year ago because the Gmail app is faster and
syncs email more reliably against Horde through ActiveSync, but the
search functionality seems to be completely broken, and it has
absolutely no official support for creating email folders against an
ActiveSync server - which to me seems a little crazy. As mentioned
above, in the end I gave up and went back to Bluemail. Just as a side
note, searches on iPhones through the native Mail app against the same
server and setup work perfectly fine.