[horde] Horde project status

lameventanas at gmail.com lameventanas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 12:30:24 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone else has thought about the Horde project status, as
there are a few things that make me worry:

1. Horde still doesn't work with PHP 8, despite the fact that it was
released more than 2 years ago, and PHP 7.x is not even getting security
fixes anymore. Soon enough there won't even be packages available from
any Linux distributions.
Any day now a PHP vulnerability will be announced that will force
everyone to upgrade to 8.x and replace Horde with something else.

2. The community seems to has dwindled, I think the target audience of
Horde has moved to Nextcloud. The reasons for this would make for an
interesting discussion, but mailing lists are an awful channel for this,
it's not the 2000's anymore. An official Reddit channel would go a long
way in community building.

3. The number of developers and in general people working on the project
seems very small and spread thin.

Some suggestions for the people in charge of the project:

1. Make the necessary changes ASAP so that this thing works with PHP 8,
even if some functionality has to be sacrificed for a while.

2. Create a Reddit channel to improve communication and community
building. A bigger community should bring more contributors.

3. Horde is an LLC, so a commercial company, right? Then it's possible
to increase the workforce by hiring more employees.

Don't get me wrong, this is not pointless criticism. I think this is an
amazing project. I would just hate to see so much hard work go to waste.