[horde] Horde project status

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:32:06 UTC 2023

  Quoting Thierry Thomas <thierry at pompo.net>:

> Le jeu. 16 mars 23 à 17:17:38 +0100, Louis-Philippe Allard
> <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>
> écrivait :
>
>> Hi everyone,
>
> Hello,
>
>> For the way the users and devs communicates, in my opinion the
>> maillist is fine, I hate Reddit (for multiple reasons).
>
> Same for me!
>
>> Sooner or later I believe the Horde project will find itself at a
>> cross road due to security reasons (at the minimum) or not keeping up
>> with the competition.   I think this project is too big and too much
>> effort was put into it to just slowly go obsolete...
>
> Unfortunately Horde and all its apps have just been removed from the
> FreeBSD ports tree (and thus the packages) today.
>
> Reason given: not supported on PHP-8.x and considered as abandonware…
>
> See
> <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-ports/2023-March/003637.html>
> for references.
> --Th. Thomas.

Really unfortunate.  I will be testing Sogo real soon to see if it
will match my expectations.  I still dont understand how Horde has
just gone stall without some sort of announcement or simple reply from
any of the developpers...  Are they seeing these emails?  Is horde
officially "abandonware" from a production point of view?

Simply asking to better understand.  Its not the first time an
opensource project goes belly up but usually there is some sort of
announcement, or at least something informing of a hiatus in the
development...

People have recommendations on replacements for SOHO use?  I asked
this very question in the past and never got a reply.  Now people
begin to see that we need to look forward....
  Louis-Philippe Allard
lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sent using Horde Groupware on GNU/Linux