[horde] Horde project status

Mike barjunk at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 31 16:01:55 UTC 2023

>>> Le jeu. 16 mars 23 à 17:17:38 +0100, Louis-Philippe Allard
>>> <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>

>>> Hello,

>>> Same for me!

>>> Unfortunately Horde and all its apps have just been removed from the
>>> FreeBSD ports tree (and thus the packages) today.
>>>
>>> Reason given: not supported on PHP-8.x and considered as abandonware…
>>>
>>> See
>>> <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-ports/2023-March/003637.html>
>>> for references.
>>> --Th. Thomas.
>>
>> Really unfortunate.  I will be testing Sogo real soon to see if it
>> will match my expectations.  I still dont understand how Horde has
>> just gone stall without some sort of announcement or simple reply
>> from any of the developpers...  Are they seeing these emails?  Is
>> horde officially "abandonware" from a production point of view?
>>
>> Simply asking to better understand.  Its not the first time an
>> opensource project goes belly up but usually there is some sort of
>> announcement, or at least something informing of a hiatus in the
>> development...
>>
>> People have recommendations on replacements for SOHO use?  I asked
>> this very question in the past and never got a reply.  Now people
>> begin to see that we need to look forward....
>> Louis-Philippe Allard
>> lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
>> Sent using Horde Groupware on GNU/Linux
  Thanks for having this discussion around the future of Horde.  As a
  long time user, it concerns me as well.

  My first thought when I see these conversations is, if I can't
  maintain and submit fixes myself, then I'm left to move on to
  something else.

The folks that have spent their time (and money no doubt) may have
  decided to quit maintain this project.  Maybe they aren't even to the
  point of deciding that they are giving it up completely.  I think
  that is their right.

  My choice will be to continue to use it.  When I provide updates to
  documentation or have a problem that is reproducible, I often see

  There are still responses.

  I have more time these days, so, even though I wouldn't be able to
  maintain this whole project, I'm willing to spend my time to support
  it.

  I believe they welcome this often.

  Even though it isn't bug free, I'm very happy they have moved to
  composer style install.

  Mike.