[horde] What is the current status from installation perspective

Lang, Ralf ralf.lang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 05:28:33 UTC 2023

Hello Carsten,

Am 27/12/2023 um 12:09 schrieb Carsten:
> Hi all,
>
> I am relying on Horde since a few years now. Apparently as PHP has
> evolved, Horde did a break, as we all know.
>
> My current system is totally outdated (php 5.6 on Debian GNU/Linux 8
> (jessie) ) and I currently ongoing to move to new hardware.
>
> Please note, I am not a developer, so I have to rely on what you guys
> provide as information or manual.
>
> Can you point me to the most current version of installation manual on
> a Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)?
>
> I found this one:
>
> https://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/INSTALL
>
> but it looks pretty outdated, isn't it?

Don't go there. This file needs to be updated

> Most bothering question in my mind: What is the php version supported?
> Jellyfish comes with 8.1 at the moment.

For PHP 8.1 on recent Linux OSes I would recommend to use the composer
based installation method described here:

Maintaina’s Horde 6 goes upstream – ralf-lang.de
<https://www.ralf-lang.de/2023/10/27/maintainas-horde-6-goes-upstream/>

composer create-project horde/bundle .
composer require horde/imp ^7
composer require horde/turba
composer require horde/kronolith ^5 horde/nag ^5 horde/passwd
horde/timeobjects horde/content

It's a bit annoying that you have to use the explicit major versions for
some apps right now. They are not intuitive for end users. That will go
away soon though.

> btw: it is very strange from my PoV that neither the "regular"
> installer uses some common install process (?_wtf is pear_?) nor the
> "git" methode does (?_horde git tools_?.. urkinddin'). But that is
> only a side comment from me very personaly.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Pear used to be the standard
installer for all things PHP over many years. Since some years ago,
composer is the thing everybody uses - and now horde can do that, too.

git-tools is only needed if you run the "master" version which never
really got released. It was intended for developers initially.