[i18n] locale

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:57:30 +0200

Zitat von Per-Stian Vatne <psv@orsta.org>:

> Siterer Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:
>
> | It works fine here, even without the nb_NO locale being installed on my
> | system. Did you try the tests in po/README to find out if the problem
> is on
> | the system or the php side?
>
> # ls -l |grep NO
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel       15546 Feb  8 14:01 nb_NO.po
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel       16051 May 23 14:01 nn_NO.po
>
> # export TEXTDOMAINDIR=/var/www/webmail/horde/locale
>
> # (LANG=nn_NO; LANGUAGE=nn_NO; LC_MESSAGES=nn_NO; gettext horde "Message"
> )
> Melding
>
> # (LANG=nb_NO; LANGUAGE=nb_NO; LC_MESSAGES=nb_NO; gettext horde "Message"
> )
> Message
>
> gettext (GNU gettext) 0.11.2
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.3 with PHP 4.1.2 (RedHat rpm's).
>
> Tests don't work for nb_NO, but found something strange (I'm not too
> familiar
> with locales on the system) - in /usr/share/locale there is a nb and
> nb_NO
> directory, but it's empty... but nn and nn_NO is empty, too. However, in
> /usr/lib/locale/ the nb entries are missing, but no_NO and nn_NO are
> present.
> And locale -a tells me all of the NO-locales are installed (see prv
> message).
>
> Tested renaming the locale for nb_NO to no_NO (alias of some sort, but nb
> is the
> official code for "norsk bokmål"), and works just fine, both system and
> php...
>
> # ls -l |grep no
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        15546 May 27 13:25 no_NO.po
>
> (copy of nb_no.po)
>
> # (LANG=nn_NO; LANGUAGE=no_NO; LC_MESSAGES=no_NO; gettext horde "Message"
> )
> Melding
>
> Any ideas? Could it be a problem in RedHat or the gettext-package I use?
> Haven't
> "customized" anything with locales, and seems that other people have this
> problem, too? (at least the original poster?) Tested changing nb_NO to
> no_NO in
> config/lang.php, and works fine, too. But it's not the correct locale
> name, though.

If you try something like:

export LC_TIME=nb_NO; locale -k LC_TIME;

with different locales (nb_NO, nn_NO, no_NO) and different keywords
(LC_TIME, LC_MESSAGES), does it work? If it doesn't work for some locales (I
guess nb_NO in your case) there is definitely something broken with system
locales. Try bugging redhat in this case and see if they have a solution.