[i18n] locale

Per-Stian Vatne psv@orsta.org
Mon, 27 May 2002 15:02:08 +0200

Siterer Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

| If you try something like:
|
| export LC_TIME=nb_NO; locale -k LC_TIME;
|
| with different locales (nb_NO, nn_NO, no_NO) and different keywords
| (LC_TIME, LC_MESSAGES), does it work? If it doesn't work for some locales
| (I
| guess nb_NO in your case) there is definitely something broken with system
| locales. Try bugging redhat in this case and see if they have a solution.

Surprised to find that this actually works for all three locales... :-/

Thanks for your help - I'll continue looking, and let you know if I find
something out. It's obviously something locally, as other people can use the
nb_NO locale.

Just checked the GNU distribution of gettext, and no nb there (only no and nn),
so I guess they only use nb_NO as alias to no_NO. But again, nb is supposed to
be "Norwegian Bokmål"... no is generic for "Norwegian" (and for some reason
decided it to default to nb).

Regards,
Per-Stian