[i18n] Cannot display Chinsese, Janpanese, Russian, Koren

Gilbert Ng gilbertng at hkem.com
Mon Jan 27 06:28:03 PST 2003

Thanks Zitat ,

On Monday, January 27, 2003 at 11:18:42 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Gilbert Ng <gilbertng at hkem.com>:
>
> > I have install Horde, IMP into my linux box,
> > but when I login into the IMP(using chinese, japanese, koren or Russian),
> > all the characters is display ????.
> >
> > however if I use english, dansk, czech,....(not dobule byte word, I think) it display correct,
>
> Russian doesn't have a multibyte charset so it doesn't have something to do > with that.

> Are you sure, your browser support those charsets? Can you view are webpages in these charsets? What happens if you use another browser?

Acutally, I only need Traditional Chinese to display, I just fnid when I choose the charsets like Japan, russian, koren, just like the chinese characters, I can only got the question marks display.

> Does your system support these locales?
>
> See docs/TRANSLATIONS for debugging step

I have seen the TRANSLATIONS, but I cannot get the result metions inside, for example:

I have type locale -a and I find that I got:
bokmal
bokm&aring;l
catalan
CP1251
CP1255
CP1256
CP1257
CP154
croatian
czech
danish
dansk
deutsch
dutch
eesti
en
en_AU
en_AU.ISO-8859-1
en_AU.UTF-8
en_BE
en_BE.ISO-8859-1
en_BE.ISO-8859-15
en_BE.UTF-8
en_BW
en_BW.ISO-8859-1
en_BW.UTF-8
en_CA
en_CA.ISO-8859-1
en_CA.UTF-8
en_DK
en_DK.ISO-8859-1
en_DK.UTF-8
en_GB
en_GB.ISO-8859-1
en_GB.UTF-8
en_HK
en_HK.ISO-8859-1
en_HK.UTF-8
en_IE
en_IE.ISO-8859-1
en_IE.ISO-8859-15
en_IE.UTF-8
en_IN
en_IN.ISO-8859-1
en_IN.UTF-8
en_NZ
en_NZ.ISO-8859-1
en_NZ.UTF-8
en_PH
en_PH.ISO-8859-1
en_PH.UTF-8
en_SG
en_SG.ISO-8859-1
en_SG.UTF-8
en_US
en_US.ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8
en_ZA
en_ZA.ISO-8859-1
en_ZA.UTF-8
en_ZW
en_ZW.ISO-8859-1
en_ZW.UTF-8
estonian
finnish
fran&ccedil;ais
french
galego
galician
german
greek
hebrew
hrvatski
hungarian
icelandic
ISO-8859-1
ISO-8859-10
ISO-8859-13
ISO-8859-14
ISO-8859-15
ISO-8859-2
ISO-8859-3
ISO-8859-4
ISO-8859-5
ISO-8859-6
ISO-8859-7
ISO-8859-8
ISO-8859-9
ISO-8859-9E
italian
ja_JP
ja_JP.ujis
japanese
japanese.euc
japanese.sjis
KOI8-R
KOI8-T
KOI8-U
ko_KR
korean
korean.euc
lithuanian
nb_NO
nb_NO.ISO-8859-1
norwegian
nynorsk
polish
portuguese
POSIX
romanian
russian
slovak
slovene
slovenian
spanish
swedish
thai
turkish
UTF-8

but when I follow the instruction

---Does gettext even work?
---Get a string to translate,
---$ strings /bin/tar | grep Memory
---Memory exhausted
---$ (LANG=nl_NL; LANGUAGE=nl_NL; LC_MESSAGES=nl_NL; gettext tar "Memory exhausted" )
---Geheugen uitgeput

I can't get the last result...I have try to change nl_NL to cs_CZ, czech, thai, swedish but not work. Anything wrong on my steps?

and consider to update to the CVS
> versions (HEAD branch) if you have a strong need for different, above all
> multibyte charsets. We have much improved i18n support in CVS HEAD.

I don't know how can I upgrade to CVS version, can you tell me more?

Thanks for your kindly attention!

Gilbert