[i18n] Horde IMP in Japanese

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 25 09:34:08 PDT 2003

Quoting Thomas Maadie <thomas at e-interwave.com>:

> Again, I don't know what "Horde/IMP from CVS HEAD" means.

CVS HEAD is the current development code, which will be used for the next
major release.

> But if you can't even get any ISP to follow your directions
> and implement your software, I think you're in trouble.

Yes, that's life.  I get questions almost every week from ISP's using IMP 2.2.4
which is very old (and has security issues).  We can't make them upgrade.

I get complaints daily about ISP's using brokem, ancient, or buggy (non-Horde)
software when they should be using something newer/better link Horde/IMP.
But we can't force them to change.

I see ISP's every day using insecure versions of php, apache, sendmail, etc.  I
get SPAM/viruses/worms from ISP's daily who won't reply to my
reports/complaints, and won't fix the problem hosts.  We can't fix broken
ISP's.  That is up to the ISP's and/or their customers.

But, that isn't the point anyway.  An ISP shouldn't be using the HEAD
version of Horde/IMP.  So if an ISP is using Horde/IMP, then Japanese
will be broken.

The only way this could have been avoided was if some folks using Horde/IMP
in Japanese had come forward earlier to help.  Instead, no one came forward,
and those who did work on it split into a separate project (IMP-JP) and
never submitted any patches back to Horde.

> Anyways, my current test environment is as follows:
[...]
> And NO, Japanese messages do not show up properly!

And won't, until you switch to CVS HEAD, or wait for the next major release.

The point is, if you want to help develop or debug the code, you need to
help develop or debug the current development code.  Otherwise you will
just be fixing things that are already fixed.  Once the current development
code is done, then maybe we can see about backporting any of it to the
current release code (may or may not be possible).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!