[i18n] Basque

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Nov 12 08:19:23 PST 2003

Julen Larrucea schrieb:

> Hello
> My name is Julen and I'm from the basque county (South Europe). But at
> the moment I'm in Finland as a exchange student.
> I have noticed that the mail server of  my university
> (www.oulu.fi/webmail) is translated to many languages, but not in basque.
>  I think that the basque language ("Euskera" in basque) is very
> important because it's one of the most older languages in europe and
> it's still living. It has thousands of years and it was spoken in
> prehistorical times. But the basque language it's not only from the
> basque country because for example in the XIII century all the north
> part of spain and a part of the south part of France used to speak it.
> During the dictadure it was forviden to speak basque and for this reason
> the people started to forget it, but now it's geting more and more
> importance, and it's one of the two official languages in the basque
> country. I think that more or less near the 60-70 % of the basque people
> can speak it and
>  So if you want, I would like to help you to translate the key words to
> basque. I dont know to much about programing but I think that I don't
> need too much knowlendge about programming for doing it.
>  It would be great if I could translate the words from spanish, or if
> not, from english.

That would be great. It would be easiest if you could work on the
current versions from CVS, you'll find a description how to start a
translation in po/README.

If you don't have access to the gettext tools that are necessary to
create the translation, you could also download the message files
seperately from the cvs server. It would be best to translate from
English, because the Spanish translation might not be up-to-date.