[i18n] French language doesn't work for me

Damien Harper damien.harper at keops.net
Tue Jan 27 05:58:26 PST 2004

Sorry to post twice the same message but the first one didn't display
chinese chars because it wasn't UTF-8 encoded...

Hi,
I'm back with my problem getting Horde, Turba and Whups (HEAD) work in
french...
Throubles I got several weeks ago still remain (as described below).
I did a new fresh install of my system : RedHat 9 (incl. Apache / PHP), PHP
rpms for RH9 (from Horde FTP)

Horde is set for fr_FR language, ISO-8859-1 is set for DB connections.

Here is a shot description of my troubles, I hope someone can help me !!!

I'm talking about french content. French strings are displayed properly but
french content looks like UTF-8 encoded but seems to be badly decoded for
display so that weird character (like chinese) appear and javascript errors
occur as soon as data manipulated by these scripts contain accents !
For example, i create a type named "Nouvelle fonctionnalité" within whups.
As soon as I click OK button, the following stage 1 summary is displayed :
      Nom du type : Nouvelle fonctionnalit?td>
and the following is diplayed in stage 2
      Nom du type : Nouvelle fonctionnalit?id=

If I look in the database (MySQL), here is what is stored in the whups_type
table "Nouvelle fonctionnalité"

My setup is set to french latin1 and the output of the locale command is
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"