[i18n] Re: another problems in RTL UI

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Apr 24 02:13:04 PDT 2005

Zitat von persian-horde at metanetworking.com:

> 1- when a language is RTL, most (not all, and this is our problem in item
> 2) of field’s direction, automatically set to rtl , but some fields in
> every language must be in ltr direction permanently (like mail address of
> sender or receiver or some of  ComboBoxes like character-set ComboBox
> in ‘compose’ page), because just in ltr direction they have more friendlier
> view for users. for solving of this type of  problems, we defined a new
> class as follow (just in our theme):
>
> .LeftDIR {
>      Direction: ltr;
> }

I think in this special case, it makes sense to provide the direction
hard coded in the templates. I can't see any case where a user/theme
designer would want to change the direction to a different value.

> 2- when a language is rtl, in some pages, labels have wrong directions and
> this make them unreadable, like description labels of preferences in horde
> or imp ‘preferences’ pages, because in rtl language they have ltr
> directions. for solving of this type of problems we used of a new class as
> follow (just in our theme) :
>
> .RightDIR {
>      Direction: rtl;
> }
>
> (* For example, we changed overview.inc, in this way)

Is it possible that these pages simply don't have the direction style
set in the body tag?

> 3- in login page our theme couldn’t be load, is it acceptable to use of php
> code for changing alignment in login page (like the code that we talked
> about it in previous mails):
>
> <?php echo (isset($nls['rtl'][$language]) ? 'right' : 'left') ?>

Makes sense to me.

http://horde.org/consulting/