[i18n] locale-based sort, new suggestion

persian-horde@metanetworking.com persian-horde at metanetworking.com
Wed May 11 12:13:48 PDT 2005

> Indeed. And this function does at least one more loop through the
> *entire* contents of the mailbox than it has to, and makes no attempt
> whatsover to only run for locales where it's needed - thus vastly
> decreasing performance for many users. If these problems are address we
>  can talk further.

Hello Chuck,
Thanks for your reply,

We are working on the new function to optimize the code and omit additional
loops. As you said imp could use this function only on locales where it's
required. It's not clear that which locales have problem with sort/search
featurs, so we contacted the translators of horde
(http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=CREDITS.html), and asked them to test
sort and search in their locales and give us the feedback.

Here's our email and some of replies. good to note that many of the email
addresses in CREDIT page are invalid and we received many "Mail delivery
failure" errors.

Its good to have a feedback from other translators too.

Thanks
Persian Horde Team

Hello

As we see in Horde CREDITS page, you have contributed to this project by
translating it into your language.

We are trying to improve the sort and search capabilities, so that most of
the forighn locales can use these features correctly.

As a feedback please provide a precise answer to the following questions:

1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
subject?

2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?
And does IMP return correct results?

The answers to this questions could help us to make imp
internationalization features more complete, especially in your locale.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Persian Horde Team

Answers:
1.  Norwegian Bokmaal (trb at ndn.no)
Hi! I'm responding on behalf of Trond Bjorstad (trb at ndn.no).
We are using the utf-8 charset and IMAP.

> 1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
> works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
> subject?

No, it doesn't seem like norwegian characters are handled correctly. An
example:

---
Dato            Avsender                Emne            Størrelse
09:05:23           Til: barek at ndn.no           Ã
remål          1013
09:05:47          Til: barek at ndn.no          Ærlighet        1013
09:05:35          Til: barek at ndn.no          Østers          1013
5. Apr 2005          Abelone L. Byrkjedal          Re: ØæåØÆÃ

test         2 KB
5. Apr 2005          Abelone L. Byrkjedal          Re: ØæåØÆÃ

test         2 KB
---

The correct order should be Æ, Ø and Ã
.

> 2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?
> And does IMP return correct results?

No, searching with norwegian characters does not work. I've filed a bug
report
on this, and got an explanation of the reason (missing support for IMAP
functions that support specifying charset).

I will be extremely happy if you are going to add this feature. :)

regards,
Kristian Barek

2. Chinese (Traditional) (David Chang <david at tmv.gov.tw>)

> 1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
> works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
> subject?
Not correctly for zh_TW.

> 2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?
> And does IMP return correct results?
No.

David Chang

3. Lithuanian (Darius Matuliauskas <darius at lnk.lt>)
Hi,
my locale is lt_LT. I use CVS version couple of weeks old.

> 1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
> works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
> subject?

It works somewhat OK. It treats the letters with accents as the letters
without, that is S=S, A=A, E=E and so on. As these accented letters in our
alphabet are treated to be different letters, the sorting should put them
separate from the unaccented ones. However, all of these "accented" letters
in the alphabet are placed just after the unaccented one. That means that
it's not a big deal if they are mixed together.

> 2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?
> And does IMP return correct results?
It's a complete mess. When lithuanian characters are in the search field,
it
just returns all of the messages. Or, in some cases, it returns just the
messages with lithuanian letters in the selected field.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Darius

4. French (thierry at horde.org)

> Hello
Hello!
> As a feedback please provide a precise answer to the following questions:
>
> 1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
> works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
> subject?

OK (French, ISO-latin 1 or ISO-latin 9).

> 2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?

Yes

> And does IMP return correct results?

No! It's OK if I search words without accents, but no result for a
keyword with accents.

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.

5. Brazilian Portuguese (Fábio Gomes <flgomes at fazenda.sp.gov.br>)

> 1. Does "sort by subject" feature in imp webmail (e.g in INBOX folder)
> works correctly in your locale when you have native alphabets as email
> subject?

Yes. It does.

> 2. Could you search in emails which are written in your native language?

Yes, I could.

> And does IMP return correct results?

Yes, it does.